This Vegan Meatball Sub came to me in a dream. I’m not kidding, I literally dreamed of this sandwich and then the next day HAD to make it. I’ve never had a vegan meatball sub or maybe I had a terrible one at Subway at some point in my childhood but I love bread, I love vegan cheese, and I love vegan meatballs soo??? How was this not gonna be good?
The “meat” balls are made from Vital Wheat Gluten (one of my favorite ingredients) and chickpeas! They are baked, firm not mushy, and incredibly delicious! More than likely, you will have leftover sauce and meatballs. Heat that up the next day and throw on some pasta! YUM!
Servings: Makes 30-33 Meat Balls
- 15.5oz can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 cup Vegan Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsps Ground Flaxseed mixed with 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbsps Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce, make sure it’s vegan- I used Annie’s
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsps Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, or to preference
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot
- 3-5 Garlic Cloves, or to preference (I like a lot of garlic)
- 1 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsps Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder, optional
- 1/2 Red Pepper Flakes, or to preference
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
Servings: Enough for 5-6 subs
- 1 Block of Vegan Mozzarella, I used Follow Your Heart
- 1/2 cup of Non-Dairy Milk
- Any Type of Sub Rolls, make sure it’s vegan (most are)
- Parsley, optional
- To Make the Meatballs:
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Add your can of chickpeas to a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher or fork until no whole chickpeas remain.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook onions and garlic until soft and slightly browning. Just a few minutes. Then, add to bowl with Chickpeas followed by all the other meatball ingredients.
- With clean hands, mix the dough until combined.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and begin shaping your dough in to meatballs using 2 tbsps worth for each ball.
- Bake your meatballs for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the marinara.
- Add chopped shallot and garlic to a pan on medium heat. After 1-2 minutes, add the Italian seasonings, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Next, stir in the can of crushed tomatoes. Cover and simmer until meatballs are done. Turn off heat, add the sugar and non-dairy milk.
- To make the Mozzarella, add the block of cheese to a small sauce pan with the non-dairy milk. Stir on low until cheese is melted.
- Slice your sub rolls in half but don’t cut it entirely in half. You want it to be like a boat for your meatballs (The best way I can think to describe it HA).
- Fill your subs with 6-7 meatballs, sauce, and top with cheese sauce.
- Put your subs under broil in your oven for roughly 4-6 minutes. Checking on it often so it doesn’t burn.
- Top with parsley and serve!
SAVE FOR LATER? Pin it on Pinterest!