Bagel Bombs have been popular for a while and I’ve been incredibly curious about them! I live in NYC. We’re known for our bagels and yep, they are as delicious as you’d imagine BUT I can’t find a dang vegan bagel bomb. A bagel bomb is a normal bagel dough but it is shaped in a ball FILLED with cream cheese. I just assumed it couldn’t be done. Maybe a vegan cream cheese just won’t hold up! Well, I was wrong and I am thankful because these Vegan Bagel Bombs are well, bomb. I cringed writing that. But I’m just going to go with it. These are freezer friendly which makes breakfast easy! Just thaw overnight then warm them up for a few minutes in the oven and done. These might seem hard to make but it’s really easy! All right, let’s get busy!
Servings: 16 Vegan Bagel Bombs
For the Bagels:
- Packet of Instant Yeast, 2 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 tbsp Organic Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 cups Bread Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water, heated between 115F-130F
- 1/4 + 1 tsp Brown Sugar, for boiling water + “egg” wash
- 1 1/2 tbsps Plant Milk, for “egg” wash
For the Filling:
- 8oz container of Vegan Cream Cheese, highly recommend Tofutti
- 2 tbsps Green Onion
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Dried Dill
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, optional
- Dried Onion Flakes, optional
Make the Bagel Dough:
- In a stand mixer, attach the bread hook.
- Add the bread flour, the packet of instant yeast, 1 1/2 tbsps of sugar, and salt. Mix well on low.
- Slowly add in the olive oil and the water.
- Turn the speed up and beat the mixture until the dough comes together and is sticky but doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Turn the dough out on to a clean and lightly floured surface. Knead for a few minutes until you have a smooth dough.
- Lightly oil the bowl and return the dough.
- Cover with a damp dish towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, punch the dough to release the air.
- Let rest for 10 more minutes.
Next, Prepare the Cream Cheese:
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the cream cheese with a spatula until soft. Add in the green onion, thyme, dill, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Portion out the cream cheese in to 16 tbsp sized balls. Place on parchment lined baking tray and pop in to the freezer.
Make the Vegan Bagel Bombs:
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 1/4 cup of Brown Sugar.
- Prepare your vegan “egg” wash by mixing non-dairy plant milk and 1 tsp of brown sugar together. Set aside.
- Prepare your toppings of choice. I chose to use dried onion flakes and everything seasoning.
- Divide the bagel dough in to 16 even pieces.
- Roll each piece in to a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand. Add 1 tbsp of the frozen cream cheese in the center of the flattened dough. Pinch the edges together and roll in to a ball again. Make sure it’s completely sealed so no cream cheese comes out while boiling or baking.
- Continue until all 16 bagel bombs have been filled with cream cheese.
- In batches, add the bagel bombs to the boiling water for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Flipping halfway. Remove from water and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Immediately brush the boiled bagel bomb with the “egg wash” and sprinkle on the topping of choice.
- Continue until all bagels have been boiled, brushed, and sprinkled with toppings. Make sure you leave a bit of room in between each bagel bomb.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before digging in!
- Leftovers can be frozen. Thaw overnight and heat up in the oven.
SAVE FOR LATER? Pin it on Pinterest!